Gap Year Program
“Working at SCSP helped me to develop the clinical skills and tools needed to become a more competitive medical school applicant.”
-Lorrie Sartore, DO
Opportunities for Growth and Education at SCSP
Traditionally, students taking a gap year prior to applying for clinical programs (i.e. medical, PA, nursing schools) have pursued research opportunities; however, many students would prefer something more clinically-oriented. These future providers represent a highly qualified and motivated, but, as of yet, underutilized workforce. During our Gap Year Program, in addition to clinical knowledge, students will gain confidence in their interpersonal skills, patient bedside manner, and have the mentorship of multiple clinicians.
The Gap Year Program
Gap year students will fulfill the traditional role of a medical assistant.
- Taking patient histories and presenting patient directly to the provider
- Scribing for providers, coordinating patient care and scheduling
- Educating patients on biopsy/lab results, pre/post operative instructions, and treatment plans
- Suture removals & wound evaluations
- Prepping sterile surgical fields, injecting local anesthesia, and setting up surgical trays
- Potential experience in histology lab
- Directly assisting in procedures including:
- Mohs micrographic surgery
- Reconstructive surgery
- Cosmetic treatments
- Vein treatments
In addition to direct patient care, you will gain an understanding of and help manage the back-end processes that keep an outpatient clinic running, including prescription drug access/ authorizations/refills and patient flow.
- Intention to matriculate in an MD, MD-PhD, or PA program at the conclusion of the fourteen- or twenty-six-month program is required.
- All program participants will be required to complete one project during their tenure at SCSP, which can involve any of the following:
- Clinical research, case report or publication
- Quality/workflow improvement
- Patient education
- Any other project approved by a physician including attending local dermatological academic conferences.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and one-page resume to [email protected].
On site interviews will begin at the start of the calendar year. June and July are important opportunities for incoming gap year students to learn from outgoing medical students.
“I firmly believe this was the most valuable experience I had as a young healthcare professional aspiring to become a provider.”
-Paul Marshall, MS, PA-C
Convenient Office Locations
Lutherville, MD 21093
Lutherville, MD 21093
Nottingham, MD 21236
Number of patients seen per day: approximately 220-275 patients
Surgeries performed per year: 2000-2500
Number of students who have completed our program AND applied to a clinical program: 25
Number of students admitted to a clinical program: 23
Number admitted to MD/DO programs: 6
Number admitted to PA programs: 13
Number admitted to Nursing programs: 4
If you have any questions about our program, please contact us at [email protected].
To apply to our Gap Year Program, please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected].
To see a printable version of our program brochure, please click here.